CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chicken Chatter

What happens when your computer dies?  Well, apparently A LOT!  Let me begin with Monday last because that's when the crazy started...

We decided it was time to let the chickens out of their cage to roam free during the day.  We spent all Sunday watching them peck around and explore their environment and it just seemed right.  Guess what?  We were wrong!  I came home from school to find feathers everywhere, so the kids and I decided to go on a "chicken hunt."  We found one immediately and it had looked like it had been attacked but not mortally wounded so I picked her up gently and put her back in the safety of her cage.  I can't be certain, but I think she thanked me.  We rounded up four more bringing our total to five that were safe.  Tyler came home from work after dark and found three more so we had eight confirmed living.  We had to leave the other three outside and hope that we could find them in the morning.

Tuesday morning, Tyler finds the other three under the porch but can only coax one out and back into the cage.  So my job when I get home from school is to get the last two gals back home safely.  The kids and I did a walk around the perimeter of the house and couldn't spot anything, but while they were busy at the front of the house I saw the poor orange chicken not moving in our lawn.  It looked very dead, so I kind of nudged it with my foot and it started to breath!  Her eyes were still shut and her breathing was very shallow, so I called Tyler and told him to come home and take care of her!  He said no!  He then told me that I needed to toughin' up and be a "country girl."  Which I then replied to with some choice words that I don't care to post.  So being the semi-country girl that I am, I had to do the only thing that I could.  I had to stop the suffering...which was not fun.  I got the Ruger .22 out of the gun safe and took care of her.  I felt awful for doing it, but I really had no choice. 

I was very proud of Jordyn, however, who saw me walking outside with the gun.  She cried a few tears (because it was her "funny looking chicken") and then shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh well, guess we'll have to some more!"  I love that girl. 

 After the dramatic end to Foxy (the funny looking chicken), we quickly found the final chicken and put her away with her sisters.  I can't be certain, but I think she muttered, "It's about time!"  Almost a week has passed, all 10 chickens are alive and well...and have learned to stay a little closer to home.  Phew!  I'm glad that's over!

1 comments:

bonniecronquist

Way to step up to the plate! Not sure if I could have done that one!

Post a Comment